of 12

The Rights of Roleplayers

110 replies
Pogs:
+8,925
Founder
Potato Queen
Nightbringer wrote:
So please, please, please if you're in a situation you're unhappy about (it doesn't even have to be hardcore gore or sex or something of that nature, ANYTHING that makes you uncomfortable at all even if it's pink cotton candy)....please get out of there and don't feel guilty about doing so.

Games are meant to be fun, not stress inducing because someone crosses over your boundaries. If you're feeling up to it, you can shoot an OOC whisper explaining. But you can also just walk away or block the person, no questions asked. It's YOUR choice.

Very glad you highlighted this, and I agree, this is often a pitfall of folks that are newer to roleplay or that just aren't terribly assertive by nature, and it gets people hurt when it doesn't have to be that way.

You can just walk away or block someone, or in this game, pull up a map and hit a waypoint far, far away. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone. You don't have to come up with a reason for your character to leave. Just GET OUT if you are feeling uneasy.
Posted Oct 17, 12 · OP
Nightbringer wrote:
Amidwx wrote:
7) You have the right to set your own boundaries for what you're comfortable participating in. You have the right to say no to roleplay situations that make you uncomfortable and to remove yourself from that situation at any time.

I wanted to completely agree and emphasize this one again. I've had friends that were new to RP in OOC tears before because they let people do things to their characters they didn't enjoy (usually of the lured off into a dark alley to be beat up/forced upon variety) simply because they thought they were supposed to let that happen because it was RP and all IC.

So please, please, please if you're in a situation you're unhappy about (it doesn't even have to be hardcore gore or sex or something of that nature, ANYTHING that makes you uncomfortable at all even if it's pink cotton candy)....please get out of there and don't feel guilty about doing so.

Games are meant to be fun, not stress inducing because someone crosses over your boundaries. If you're feeling up to it, you can shoot an OOC whisper explaining. But you can also just walk away or block the person, no questions asked. It's YOUR choice.
I've seen this happen, myself, and it is sad when it does.
I, unfortunately, have known people who will seek out inexperienced RPers for this exact reason, knowing that many of them will get dragged in without knowing they can say "no", to get their jollies.
chompoweredprojector.gif
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+2,997
Benefactor
Just my little kudos is not enough. So, BUMP and also

KUDOS PLUS.

Esp. #6 and #8 which are really almost the same point and one I am PASSIONATE about. I will defend your right to avoid me or to reject my roleplay, with my dying breath.

(well, my ICly dying breath. If I'm dying oocly, I probably have bigger concerns I want to address.)
1381452354_signature-PHBY2YBM.png
I play mostly noon-7pm Eastern, or 9-4 Pacific/server time. If you're frequently on during those hours, and like any of my characters, please friend me and bother me!

Follow the adventures of my plethora of alts at my Character Tumblr!
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+35
This thread is minty fresh!
Banner.jpg
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+726
You have all my thumbs up.
noel_vermillion_v2_by_thelinkman17-d59040u.png
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+8,925
Founder
Potato Queen
Verica wrote:
Esp. #6 and #8 which are really almost the same point and one I am PASSIONATE about. I will defend your right to avoid me or to reject my roleplay, with my dying breath.

(well, my ICly dying breath. If I'm dying oocly, I probably have bigger concerns I want to address.)

Well, we're all dying, but let's hope that's not what your dying breath is about. Roleplay's important, but I'm sure there's something much more important to leave as one's final words.

Mine will be "... potato..."
Posted Oct 17, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+1,844
Amidwx wrote:
Remember also that everyone else you encounter has these same rights. [/b]

I think this probably covers the bulk of responsibilities that go along with any rights really. The complex reality is that there is usually a very grey area in matters of rights and responsibilities where the enforcing of your rights runs the risk of impinging on the rights of others. This is why compromise and fairplay and commonsense and respect has to be paramount because sometimes it can't be all or nothing. If someone came up to me in-game and sought to engage me in a RP where they claimed authority over a piece of the NPC architecture, I would probably not want to acknowledge that IC claim. I wouldn't get angry with them for the attempt, even if my opinion is that they probably shouldn't try to apply it in such a general forum, but I would also expect that they accept my disinterest in their version of reality and leave me alone. In choosing to bring your creative idea to another, it should act as an invitation and not a demand. It should therefore be received as such and both parties should be expected to behave like civil human beings. It seems to me to be as simple as that.
3955871.jpg
Nahuel Seif | Rylian Scott | Captain Joseph Doyle | Estella Ramsay | Vivienne Joubert | Jericho Stewart | 20 more characters!
Posted Oct 17, 12
Pogs:
+13
Maea wrote:
If someone came up to me in-game and sought to engage me in a RP where they claimed authority over a piece of the NPC architecture, I would probably not want to acknowledge that IC claim.

Well, yes - as per OP's point #2, anyone trying to lay claim to a location that isn't their home instance or guild hall is just being rude - and well worth reporting for verbal abuse to ANet, if you catch them swearing.

In terms of involving the environment, the most that PCs could possibly claim to be is a member of an already-existing organization. When someone says they're a warmaster in the service of the Pact, I usually accept it - especially if they've got a couple pieces of Vigil armor. When someone says they're a captain of the Seraph, it's likewise more convincing if they've put in the effort for the t3 human armor. I especially like RPing in NPC-aligned locations like the Priory or Whispers safehouses, where no silly players can lay claim to 'owning' them. Your order probably owns them, but you're just a highly capable grunt. Not a top decision-maker.

'We were here first' has no weight as an argument. You're either adaptable to the arrival of other players to a public location and/or situation, or you aren't.
I should have learned to abide by 2RP's rules.
Posted Oct 18, 12
Kaya x
Pogs:
Great post. Something I wish more people understood. Interestingly, along the lines of 9, someone found out that I blocked them (though, they were pissing me off and I didn't want to reply and make anything worse than it was) and somehow got pissed off that I dared shrug them off without telling them. They then went and broke no. 2 by telling me that my character had been arrested for whatever reason even if no crime had ever been committed except in their point of view.

something you should maybe put in your post: If you ignore someone, or are ignored, don't continue to the conversation via alt accounts or via ingame mail. It does nothing for you. At all. On either side of that fence. An ignore should be respected as the finality of the conversation. The End. It ends here. No further.
Posted Oct 18, 12
Ardeth x
Pogs:
If they persist, it's also harassment!
I should have learned to abide by 2RP's rules.
Posted Oct 18, 12
Page
of 12
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices