Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 12

The Rights of Roleplayers

110 replies
I agree with the OP. Everyone has these rights and should enjoy them.

You as a roleplayer also bear the burden of invoking those rights. Accountability is key and also lacking in many an online situation.

I like these rights, though. Very good and accurate.
Posted Oct 18, 12
Ash
Pogs:
+274
Nightbringer wrote:
I've had friends that were new to RP in OOC tears

This... may have had something to do with my rant/tirade from yesterday. I don't like seeing or hearing people cry.

But absolutely agree with you Amidwx.
Posted Oct 18, 12
Pogs:
+8,925
Founder
Potato Queen
Ashinum wrote:
This... may have had something to do with my rant/tirade from yesterday. I don't like seeing or hearing people cry.

It kind of makes me ill that people are actually trying to entrap others in negative RP situations. We as a community have to do a better job of letting people know that they are not obligated to participate in ANY RP that makes them unhappy.
Posted Oct 18, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+49
RP is about having fun and making exciting and new experiences. To make any of that happen, there has to be respect amongst the players. From IC to OOC, there -has- to be respect. I wish more people followed these tenants more often.

As I like to say in reality: Treat people the way you want to be treated and they will return the favor in kind.
20130804220928-68932c91.gif
Posted Oct 18, 12
Pogs:
+1,450
Hilariously, I was going to make a thread on this last night but Amidwx beat me to it--about the right to refuse RP.

But I don't see any point in duplicating threads at this point. I've seen some people upset because they feel that other RPers are either saying or implying that they need to RP with everyone.

As someone who frequents these forums a lot, you can expect me to be the type of person who wants others to include people into their RP, even if you personally disagree with something they RP. I have seen many others on these forums feel the same way.

I am not omnipresent, especially not in the game, but no one I have ever seen on the forums has ever said it is a straight up requirement to RP with anyone else. You are not required to. You can choose who you can RP with and who you don't wish to RP with and no one can stop you. You should never expect it to be necessary that anyone should stop to RP with you.

The only thing I really ask is that people consider including others into their RP. I have three reasons why I think it would be in anyone's interest to do so:

1. It generates more RP. I knew someone on WoW who lived by a philosophy of RPing with everyone and he was never without it.

2. Most RPers disagree on something. While things like a total disregard for lore can be big things that are deal breakers, there are often other things about a person that people can disagree with. But that is just one aspect of a character/RPer. If you are patient, you may be able to see other aspects that outshine what you initially disliked about a person.

This is called "Not judging a book by its cover." You cannot tell everything about a RPer by a few lines from their character.

3. It creates a more positive and welcoming environment.

You aren't a terrible person for doing your own thing. No one is forcing you to do anything with your character. I believe that it pays in the long run to be patient with other people but recognize that not everyone is like me. This post is really just a long way of me saying "Yes, you are in control of who you RP with but I feel the idea that you broaden who you RP with is being misinterpreted as a requirement and not as a 'just something nice you can potentially do!' like it should be.

In Game Name: Proel washed up, down on her luck, and drunken charr gladium. (Tarnished Coast/GW2)

Now playing: Persona 3: FES
Posted Oct 18, 12 · Last edited Oct 18, 12
Pogs:
+13
This should get stickied.
I should have learned to abide by 2RP's rules.
Posted Oct 20, 12
Pogs:
+2,305
Benefactor
Be excellent to each other and if you can't do that, leave each other alone :)
That person who is always playing Goseldt the thief.
Posted Oct 21, 12
Pogs:
+8,925
Founder
Potato Queen
I feel like this thread really needs a bump to the top, considering the community as a whole has forgotten #2 on the list lately.

Quote:
2) You have the right to roleplay anywhere in the world that you want. No one has the authority to remove you from a public area ICly or OOCly or tell you that you can't be there, no matter what they might claim.

You cannot claim a public space and expect others to respect your authority over that space. It is unenforceable, and they have exactly the same right to be there and RP however they wish as you do.

Randall Snow wrote:
This should get stickied.

I was reluctant to sticky my own opinion thread as a 2RP staff member, for fear it would be taken as "2RP RULES", but now that I'm not staff, I would be flattered if someone wanted to sticky it.
Posted Jan 4, 13 · OP
Pogs:
+28
Thank you for bringing this up. My guild leader brought up how just a couple days ago a couple of our members who are not RPers had decided to go watch some rp to see what it was all about after hearing about it. They were sitting there just watching the say rp and the players got so mad at them for just sitting there watching that they started threatening the two people with hacking their game and other things. This kind of thing makes none rpers so much harder to convince we're not just a pack of jerks.
6329275b1d6f0b6m3.jpg

N34pI.gifvkFea.gifPdHTm.gifvaotu.gifvKBGO.gifRTJfn.gifviEBg.gifLjU3j.gif
Posted Jan 4, 13
Pogs:
+2,963
Everyone has all those rights. By those rights, everyone can do just about anything they like.

...and yet every action has its consequences.

That is a good thing to keep in mind, when the amount of listed rights makes one feel dizzy. To have the right to do something doesn't mean that one should necessarily do so. A world where everyone is interested of their personal rights and not the consequences of their actions is a bleak place.
Spearhead | A quick combat system for all RPGs.
Putting the gladius into the gladiator | The Octagon of Blood & Stone.
Posted Jan 4, 13
Page
of 12
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices