Recent Threads
Main Forum

Piken Rising

8 replies
Pogs:
+205
Benefactor
Anyone noticed how Piken Square is winning every match lately? We where at the bottom during beta and after launch, after a few good spankins we've been picking up and now we are a winning server. Defeating our enemies every week for I think maybe the 6th week in a row. We've gon from being one of the worste servers to getting into the top 12 this week and we are already ahead in this weeks match as well.

Eventually we'll lose a match but i think our big advantage is that being an RP server we will always have a steady influx of people as we are the only EU RP server, while other servers suffer a lot from the jumping around to "the grass is greener server" disease. Hence servers like Whiteside Ridge and Ring of Fire that used to crush us are now defeated by us with ease.

Let this also be the moment in history, once and for all, where the false accusation that "RP servers will do badly in PvP/WvW is crushed forever.
bliiissss.png

Join the Unofficial European RP Community Server!
Posted Nov 24, 12 · OP
Pogs:
+5
I noticed it and even participated in few great actions. We managed to beat (apparently united) Augury Rock and Jade Sea, and most of the time we had control over the Battlegrounds. Even when we were pushed, we were able to retake half of the map - including Stonemist Castle - in one swift action.

Currently we're fighting against Far Shiverpeaks and Kodash servers and before I logged out (about 2h ago at the posting time) we had about 7-8k points lead against 2nd placed Kodash. While Kodash is fairly strong, Far Shiverpeaks didn't have much presence neither on Battlegrounds nor in their Borderlands.

Unfortunately or not, due to all those wins a lot of people are switching from other servers to Piken Square to jump on the winning bandwagon. On the other hand, that gives us even greater power.
Posted Nov 24, 12
Pogs:
+1
On the other hand, that gives us even greater power. wrote:

I'll have to disagree here, I reckon it weakens the server. These people often aren't very good players, they server hop because they just want quick wins, they really have no interest in helping improve the server, so often they'll just run around in giant zergs to farm XP and karma, no thought put towards defence. They'll clog up the queues because of this and make it harder for a lot of the more dedicated players to get in, the zergy commanders hopping in from other servers will divide our resources by dragging people to completely useless locations (Because everyone tends to just follow the Command tag) and makes it harder to defend.

As soon as we start taking a few losses again, they'll hop servers. Honestly though, I'm surprised at how far we've shot up the rankings as of late.
Posted Nov 25, 12
Pogs:
+63
Roleplayes are usually more mature-thinking people and can cooperate much better than non RPers. Just my opinion ;)
JSignature02.jpg

http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com/forum/m/2737230/viewthread/2741084-jerlis-art-lier
Posted Nov 25, 12
Pogs:
I will be honest with you,as an RPer and as a PvPer with a hardcore pvp guild.Is not the RPers that are winning this battle.At least not alone.You sound as if its all due to the RPers but i will assume thats not what you mean.Its the whole community of PS.There is good communication.Thats it.Very capable commanders and lots of organised guilds that want to help.

The influx from other servers will probably downgrade us or keep us in the same Tier for some time
Posted Nov 26, 12
Pogs:
+741
As stated, we're an exception in being a succesful RP realm, but I have to agree it's neither just roleplayers nor is it pvp guilds. It's the amount of decent pvp'ers and large guilds and organisations able to organize commanders and raids, guilds with voice chat and of course, the fact that generally a lot of people have taken interest in WvWvW. It's not so much roleplayers having achieved this as generally well organized people having achieved it, whether or not they rp, and I'm glad such a community has come to be - and certainly hope our victory streak lasts. And that "rp'ers are generally more mature" claim is just bollocks, they're not generally anything but people just like everyone else. In the same regard, "rp'ers can't pvp" is equally bollocks and I'm willing to duel anyone making that claim. People just have these silly superstitions and generalisations. Let's be better and keep clinging to a tight community instead of pointing fingers at who's merit these victories are, so we can all keep enjoying them.
Lg4KvUG.png
Dalethas.5632
Officer of: The Eleventh Seraph Regiment [ESR]
Posted Nov 26, 12
Pogs:
+205
Benefactor
I wouldn't say its the RP'rs winning the battle, theres tons of non-roleplayers who are helping in the battle. We are doing it all together. But I think that the fact that we are the EU RP server does help in long term stability in WvW.

The reason is this. There are three kinds of players. Roleplayers, non-rp players that went to Piken Square because they like the mature attitude of RP servers and other people who don't care about RP at all. The first two people will stay on our server because there is nowhere else to go. The third group *might* jump ship if the grass is greener on the other side. That is what you see on a lot of other servers that used to dominate but saw a sudden decline after a few losses.

Now I don't doubt we get a lot of jumpers because we've been winning in a row, and I don't doubt we get a losing streak we might lose a lot again. But I think we will always have a solid base and a healthy population simply because we are the one choice for roleplayers and people who enjoy the mature attitude on RP servers (wether or not this is true is viewed differently but that is an argument you often hear non-roleplayers say when they join an RP server). Of course the other side of our succes is that we have a few nice commanders in the field who have helped us organise wether or not they are roleplayers or even interested in it and we got a bunch of nice PvP oriented guilds who help achieve victory (which actually have a bunch of roleplayers in their ranks).

Anyway its good to celebrate our victories and it's nice to finally prove to the world that being the unofficial RP server does automatically mean we suck at WvW.
bliiissss.png

Join the Unofficial European RP Community Server!
Posted Nov 26, 12 · OP · Last edited Nov 26, 12
Pogs:
+38
There are a lot of non-rp'er WvW guilds on Piken square, such as Boon, Tainted, VII, Necr, GG, etc. These guilds chose the server because it's medium population and we had none, or little queues at primetime so they were always able to get their guilds in and play. As well as trusting that the rp server will keep a constant community/population thanks to rp, these WvW guilds are also not planning in any way to move from the server, so we can trust that we do have a strong WvW community that is sticking around. :p

However, as I said in my short apology thread a few days ago, our recent winning streak in WvW is putting the server under some "threat", as such - if we continue rising we might become a bandwagon, which will cause a huge influx of guilds and players transferring because they want to be on the winning team.
Sad, I know.
But this huge influx will create queues, water down the strength of the community, and will destroy the WvW guild's organisation.

Luckily, as seen this week, we've hit the higher tiers where we're meeting our match. We still kick butt during primetime, but we don't have the high population and coverage to hold our own in the higher tiers.

Check out www.pikensquare.info if you're curios, lots of chatter/info there.
Posted Nov 30, 12
Pogs:
+1,002
Ahh, good to hear reports from the Front :p
1502033115_LogoMakr-layerExport.png
Posted Dec 17, 12
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices