Page
of 11

Gregorian to Mouvelian Calender Conversion Charts

108 replies
Pogs:
+8,926
Founder
Potato Queen
Well, it's all fanon to me to try and convert Gregorian to Mouvelian, and it's not going to be perfectly in line with GW1 because it never really has worked out right (Wintersday has always been bizarrely celebrated in the middle of real-life winter) even since the beginning. At some point, concessions have to be made for the calendar to be useful to us as roleplayers. Whatever fanon explanations people need to come up with to make the lore work - that the calendar has changed, that Wintersday as a holiday might have moved along a liturgical calendar or something, whatever it takes - don't really matter at the end of the day.

Rarely do I think fanon is useful to the community as a whole, but I think that THIS fanon - the calendar adjustments to sync up our make-believe and our real calendars - is more beneficial than it is harmful, overall, in spite of the lore troubles. No one is forced to use it, but I wish more people would.
Posted Jan 6, 14
syn
Is this still the most widely used calendar? The Wiki calendar current date, the google converter and this are all hilariously off and I just want to figure out what people most actively use?

you know, for ic document purposes whoooo
Posted Sep 15, 14 · Last edited Sep 15, 14
Pogs:
+236
I keep this thread bookmarked and this is my reference.
Posted Sep 15, 14
Pogs:
+2,762
This is also the calendar I reference for myself and my guild.
{Believe In Miracles}
Enaeve || Eos
{tumblrs potentially nsfw}
Posted Sep 15, 14
Pogs:
+3,500
wrote:
Is this still the most widely used calendar? The Wiki calendar current date, the google converter and this are all hilariously off and I just want to figure out what people most actively use?

you know, for ic document purposes whoooo

The GW2W converter uses the old 360 days of the Mouvellian calendar in its template (due to there being no official statement from arenanet properly telling us where the extra five days go, which equally renders this thread technically not "officially correct" but who gives a potato), and I suspect the google document also uses the 360 days too - or perhaps just places the five days differently.
Posted Sep 15, 14
Pogs:
+267
This is the calendar that I go by.
♥ ~ Angie ✿ 28 ✿ in love with my best friend, wife, soulmate and so much more Ástríðr ✿ momma of 2 cats, a bird, a snake, a betta fish, a cory catfish, a bunny and a tarantula spiderling ✿ gamer ✿ role-player ✿ geek ✿ artist ✿ blogger ✿ Witch, Heathen and Pagan! Let's be friends! ~
Posted Sep 15, 14
Pogs:
+992
Everytime I see this conversion used, a bit of my soul dies.

Save Konig's Soul.

Stop putting Halloween in winter.

It is the Autumn Lunatic, not the Winter Lunatic.

March 20 = 01 Season of the Zephyr
Posted Sep 16, 14 · Last edited Sep 16, 14
Pogs:
+1,297
wrote:
March 20 = 01 Season of the Zephyr
Wintersday isn't in March. I don't understand this reasoning.
The most important ingredients of any roleplayer:
Ambition. Imagination. Dignity. Salt.
Posted Sep 21, 14
Pogs:
+992
The Mouvelian calendar's new year (aka Wintersday) is the Spring Equinox. For us in the northern Hemisphere (the hemisphere that continental Tyria is in within the planet Tyria given that it isn't far from the arctic seas, which indicates a north pole nearby, thus the hemisphere that the Mouvelian calendar would consider for Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter Equinox/Solstices which are the beginning of each season), that would be March 20th (give or take one day depending on the year) in respective to us.

We experience Wintersday in December because when it was first conceived, there was no notion of syncing calendars between Mouvelian and Georgian (Factions, based immediately after Prophecies and began in the same season that Prophecies ended in plot and lore, was released the following year for us), so Wintersday was presented to the playerbase when we experienced our New Years Day (the finale for the Wintersday event, thus the day of Wintersday itself, happened on New Year's (or was it New Year's Eve?)). The tradition was kept into GW2, first presented before the concept of syncing calendars.

If the calendars were to be properly synced up, then we should experience wintersday at the *end* of winter, the finale being on the Spring Equinox - not a third into it. Wintersday, in lore, is and always was a celebration to the end of winter and the coming of spring, with a battle between the gods Grenth and Dwayna to determine whether the first days of spring would be snowy and cold, or warm.

I explained all of this earlier in the thread, on the previous page (or two). :)
Posted Sep 21, 14
Pogs:
+58
I just looked at the GW2 wiki today and the wiki is in sync with this calendar.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Calendar

Today as I post this, on both this calendar and on the wiki, the date is 2 Zephyr 1328 AE.
6e735f2a49c9b825.png
Posted Jan 2, 15 · Last edited Jan 2, 15
Page
of 11
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices