Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 26

In character idioms, proverbs and curses

257 replies
Pogs:
+4,989
Idiom - a phrase that carries a figurative meaning beyond the literal meaning of the words, ex. "Kick the bucket".

Proverb - an expression of practical truth or wisdom, ex. "Haste makes waste", "Don't cry over spilled milk".

Cursing - words and phrases which are considered strongly impolite or offensive.

Spoiler: Original PostShow

Here follows a list of suggested phrases. Some are used by npc's or characters of the game, others are made up by the wonderfully creative minds of the roleplay community. Feel encouraged to add your own to the list!

Spoiler: HumanShow

Spoiler: NornShow

Spoiler: CharrShow

Spoiler: AsuraShow

Spoiler: SylvariShow

Spoiler: Non-racialShow

Spoiler: Race targetedShow
KOuANvF.png
Posted Mar 10, 13 · OP · Last edited Feb 14, 16
Pog
List
Undo
Pogs:
+2,853
I heard another character blurt out the absolutely stunning "By Lyssa's t*ts!"

It was just perfect, in my opinion. =)

MOD EDIT: Language. Thank you (Zhauric)
Posted Mar 10, 13 · Last edited May 23, 13
Pogs:
+122
Asura have "Glitch!" and "Destroyers take you!"
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."
Posted Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+5,502
"A rotating cog amasses no sporophyte." - Asuran proverb that seems to mean that being productive and active stops you from decaying and losing your edge. Also suggests that asura sometimes struggle to stop the jungle of Metrica Province from negatively affecting their machines.
Posted Mar 10, 13 · Last edited Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+1,237
I know I've heard "Grenth's guts!" and "Skritt" is commonly used instead of, well, you probably can guess! Quite a lot via NPCs. I like making up my own... which I do in RL as well. I swear like a sailor offline, however online and in a fantasy world, I like using different words. For example, on SW:TOR I used "Hutt hole" as both a curse and an insult. "I gotta get outta this Hutt hole!" "Don't be such a Hutt hole."

This was mentioned in another thread, that "hell" is used in Guild Wars 2. It's been used by various NPCs and it's part of the Order of Whispers opening scene. If and only if I notice NPCs use the word, will I have my characters do so as well. In WoW, I don't remember hell being said nearly as often as other curse words (if ever? I'm sure some NPC used 'tis) so I used "fel."

I think one must simply get creative. I think a guide would be won-der-ful! If you need any help making up some curses, phrases, etc. lemme know with a PM and I'll gladly aid you. <3

I also think I'll start noting down various unique phrases that NPCs say from now on!
Angie • 25 • in love with my best friend, wife and soul mate Jen • gamer • role-player geek • otaku • artist • fashion lover • shopping addict • blogger! Here's my OOC Tumblr. I am known as Merribeth Morgan, Yoruame Maketto and Iris Blackwood. Let's be friends!

tumblr_inline_mt5j7j1VPn1qid2nw.gif
Posted Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+336
Not mentioned in the OP, but still something I find related: well-wishes.

My main character is a devotee of Lyssa and thus uses the twin goddess in his well-wishes, mostly when saying farewell and they vary depending on how much he likes the person he addresses.

"May Lyssa watch over you." or "May Lyssa protect you." to those he really likes.
"May Lyssa guide your path." or "May Lyssa inspire you." to those he likes a little less.
"May Lyssa find you worthy." to those he doesn't like at all (and often followed by a "[low]... for I do not.").
< Viscount Alystair A. C. Gray, Resident Pinnacle of Propriety and Fantabulosity >

< Dame Agatha Montgomery, Private of the Ministry Guard >
Posted Mar 10, 13 · Last edited Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+48
One used by Charr quite often - "By the claw of Khan-Ur"

Posted Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+5,502
Alystair Gray wrote:
"May Lyssa watch over you." / "May Lyssa protect you." to those he really likes.
"May Lyssa guide your path." / "May Lyssa inspire you." to those he likes a little less.
"May Lyssa find you worthy." to those he doesn't like at all (and often followed by a "[low]... for I do not.").

To extend on these:

“May Dwayna bless you.”

“May Melandru guide you.”

“May Kormir enlighten you.”

“May Lyssa aid you.”

“May Balthazar strengthen you.”

“May Grenth shield you.”

These are the common NPC ones.
Posted Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+4,989
This is great! Thanks all, I'll start making a compilation as soon as I'm home later today.
Posted Mar 10, 13 · OP
Pogs:
+1,133
For norn I think it varies, but its usual to hear curses connected to their totem.

- Wolves teeth!
- Bears breath!
- Bear!
- etc.

Personally I like to use "Wolves teeth" as a light curse as my norn reveres Wolf. And as heavy one I use one I made myself "Worthless prey.", with thought in mind...what worse prey is there to a norn hunter than worthless one?

As for other sayings from norn, you see greetings like "Spirits of the wild welcome you.", but I think most greetings are more tuned down.
Arrpeee! That's the stuff.
Posted Mar 10, 13
Page
of 26
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices