Recent Threads
Main Forum
Page
of 26

In character idioms, proverbs and curses

257 replies
Pogs:
+1,873
I usually come up wit whatever feels like something my characters would say, though I usually try to make them crass and crude since most of my "Cursers" are like that. My Norn berserker for instance favors "Jormag's Titties" when it comes to curses not directed at anyone in particular, while my Asura tends to go beyond Bookah and use "Skritt-for-Brains" whenever he finds someone who doesn't get him. Think I had more, but can't remember them right of the handle like this.
I have too many characters...
Posted Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+507
Sylvari classic curses:

"Brambles!"
or
"Thorns!"

Both said by caithe at some point early in the story.
Posted Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+118
At one point, Kara said something along the lines of "Like an Asura with a big red button" to describe someone who just couldn't help themselves. It was funny. :d
Kara Amah || Guardian (the most awesome class)
Guild leader of the Avengers of Arah
Character Profile || IC Journal
Posted Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+4,989
I added a compiled list to the OP, so feel encouranged to keep them coming. More or less everything will be added to the list, so far I only edited a bit with the ones who where very similar.

Aracinia wrote:
- Bears breath!

I used this one myself the other day on my norn Sharva Rauftne :d
KOuANvF.png
Posted Mar 10, 13 · OP
Pogs:
+288
I know Eston has used "Emtpy as an Asura's soul" a few times.

Racism, what?
Posted Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+2,997
Benefactor
One of my FAVORITE sayings I picked up from a quest NPC in GW1.

In a similar context to "may he rest in peace," the NPC used "Grenth be just."

So you would say for example, "My uncle Andrew, Grenth be just, loved to work the fields in the early morning."

What I love so much about this saying is that it is so very polite but it can also be a way of cursing the dead as well. Just saying "Grenth be just" after the dead person's name is ambiguous, because it depends entirely on what you think they deserve.

My Siraj, a consummately polite undertaker, uses this alllllllllllllllllllllll the time to curse people he is very glad are in the ground, without sounding like he is doing so. I also recently had him close an angry letter to a LIVING person with, "Grenth be just to the both of you." Ouch.
1381452354_signature-PHBY2YBM.png
I play mostly noon-7pm Eastern, or 9-4 Pacific/server time. If you're frequently on during those hours, and like any of my characters, please friend me and bother me!

Follow the adventures of my plethora of alts at my Character Tumblr!
Posted Mar 10, 13 · Last edited Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+4,989
Added!
KOuANvF.png
Posted Mar 10, 13 · OP
Pogs:
+2,997
Benefactor
Oh, another idiom I forgot! From someone's personal story somewhere. "Drake's breakfast."

It seemed to be indicating a horrific mess or a bloodbath. The line was something like, "Get the Blood Legion involved and they'll turn this into a drake's breakfast."
1381452354_signature-PHBY2YBM.png
I play mostly noon-7pm Eastern, or 9-4 Pacific/server time. If you're frequently on during those hours, and like any of my characters, please friend me and bother me!

Follow the adventures of my plethora of alts at my Character Tumblr!
Posted Mar 10, 13
Pogs:
+4,989
Oh, I just remembered a quest where you are disguised as a bandit and have to win an insulting competition. I can't remember exactly where this is, does anyone know?
KOuANvF.png
Posted Mar 10, 13 · OP
Pogs:
+5,502
I'll go through what I know of the asuran culture's list now, since we may as well fill those gaps:

Greetings

"How are your endeavors progressing?" -Used in the same context as "how are you?"

"Excelsior." -Standard asuran greeting and farewell, taken from the latin for "ever upwards" in reflection of the asura's devotion to intellectual advancement.

Curses and Exclamations

"Sparks" -Same context as the S-word.

"My ears!" -Same context as "My God!"

I'll add more to this list as I see them in game. I'm sure there are more, I just need to be reminded.
Posted Mar 10, 13
Page
of 26
Guild Wars 2 copyright:
© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
NoticeNotices